Tuesday, April 17, 2007

goodness and lovingkindness

Klee, "Tunisian Garden"

Fourth Sunday of Easter - April 29, 2007
Psalm 23

This was the first passage of Scripture I learned as a little boy. It's wonderful to come back to it to take inventory of my soul. When I couldn't hang on to anything else, the words of this Psalm saved me more than once. I remember reading this passage to a friend who was in deep psychological trouble, and remember it calming him remarkably.

Today what strikes me is the promise of v. 6: "Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life." How I long to leave goodness and love in my wake. To know that I can in the grace of Christ and the power of the Spirit is of tremendous encouragement. Even amidst difficulty, confusion, and pain, I smile in this.

The events of the last two days at Virginia Tech point to the truth of the gospel as expressed in this Psalm. Violence and death may follow some, but we fear no evil, because in the candlelight of a community prayer vigil we find our shepherd with us still.

No comments: